Question:
Do you really need to leave a tip each time your in a salon or restaurant?
2006-03-19 18:21:59 UTC
Do you really need to leave a tip each time your in a salon or restaurant?
24 answers:
lalala
2006-03-19 18:25:38 UTC
You don't need to do anything you don't feel you need to do. But I think that it's only kind. At a restaurant you have someone waiting on you hand and foot, the least you can do is leave 15% of your total. And if the hair dresser does a great job on your hair why not. I especially leave my hairdresser a great tip if she fits me in at last minute. If you don't want to tip just stay at home and cook or go to a fast food place. And do your own hair, then you determine the outcome and you get any and all of the tips.
humormefunny
2006-03-20 02:32:53 UTC
I know that people who work in restaurants as waiters or waitresses make their money off of tips. Salons are the same, it's the tips that they work for. Leaving a percentage of what the bill is, is the general practice for restaurants. For salons I believe it's the job they have done for you. Trust me, not leaving a tip and coming back, you might not get the type of service you want - watch your food!!!
stargazer673
2006-03-20 20:27:46 UTC
I guess its not required at most places. I tihnk you should if you feel like your waiter did a good job. Now I've been left to sit at a table, during my lunch period, for 10-15 mins. In that situation, the tip is gone. If the waiter is great I'm going to be nice. Up to 30%. But I think it changes from place to place too.
why do i?
2006-03-20 02:26:18 UTC
usually it is customary to tip in a salon, although i have been to one salon where tips weren't accepted...so most likely in a salon.

in a restaurant, YES!!! depending on where you live, some servers only make $2.13 an hour and rely on the 'generosity', (i.e.-tip) of others to pay their bills. unless you are at McDonald's or another fast food place, ALWAYS TIP YOUR SERVERS!!!
2006-03-20 07:50:51 UTC
I dont know how the salon works but as far as tiping a waitress yes they only make like 2 something an hour!!!!!
Pipsy
2006-03-20 02:53:01 UTC
Yes! At a retaurant it is not just "nice" that is their whole paycheck! They only make about 2 dollars an hour, your tip IS their salary.

The Zagat guide says even if you don't like your service leave 10% and never go back.
?
2006-03-20 02:23:53 UTC
I never leave a Tip at Mickey D's, well sometimes I do, at the Drive through when I not want to wait for my change.
2006-03-20 02:23:08 UTC
Hells Yeah, those people make minimum wage, which is really quite minimal. However, if they really suck things up then you don't have to. If they are really good I will tip 30-40%. If they spill hot coffee on my wife, I will tip zero. Usually about 15-20%.
CoffeeChick
2006-03-20 02:24:01 UTC
YES! It's the polite thing to do. Most of the time the places you go to, the people don't make that much, they live off their tips.
webjnke1
2006-03-20 02:25:12 UTC
if you want good service the next time. plus they depend on that as part of their income.

the thing about that, that isn't fair is ... when the kitchen messes up, but the waitress did a good job, and they don't tip.
happycheeks1963
2006-03-20 02:24:31 UTC
depends on the service. If the waitress/waiter is rude or you wait too long then no, otherwise yes. 15-25% of ur bill.
Robin
2006-03-20 22:15:35 UTC
you should these ppls wages are based on getting so much in tips ... some waitresses only make 2.50 an hour .. come on tip em good
QueenofSummertime
2006-03-20 02:53:03 UTC
You should move to Australia, we don't tip anyone. Well, there are tip jars at cafés but that's about all.

We're rude :p
newby37
2006-03-20 02:26:03 UTC
only if you don't plan on going back. But they depend on tips, and if you get good service. why not.
kar2988
2006-03-20 03:32:37 UTC
Good manners to leave some.
2006-03-20 03:29:14 UTC
You don't have to. It is just a nice gesture. It is a way of saying "thankyou, you did a great job" :)
2006-03-20 05:22:15 UTC
yes, unless they were extremely rude the service sucked
hypnotiq_n_henny
2006-03-20 02:36:31 UTC
If they do a good job
pandasports2668
2006-03-20 02:30:33 UTC
you should they have pretty rough jobs for like no money
MissNurse
2006-03-20 04:32:43 UTC
You don't have to, but I think it's proper etiquette.
angeleyes
2006-03-20 02:23:36 UTC
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUT IT WOULD BE NICE THAT YOU APPRECIATED WHAT THEY HAVE DONE YOU DON'T HAVE TO TIP THEM A LOT JUST WHAT YOU THINK THEY DESERVE
2006-03-20 07:43:57 UTC
No
mareena_nin
2006-03-20 02:23:02 UTC