Question:
POLL: Do you go to yard sales?
Hitchcock Starlet
2008-12-06 20:29:42 UTC
What is the coolest thing that you have gotten at a yard sale?
Today, I got the Comedies of Shakespeare. It was only 10 cents, and another cool thing, it was published in 1915!!!
Eighteen answers:
oleladymavis
2008-12-06 20:34:06 UTC
of course!!

i got a transistor radio that was all cruddy for 10 cents...

cleaned it up looking like new, (it workd too) and sold it

for $340.00 on ebay (it was rare)!

now THAT was a score
rowlfe
2008-12-06 20:49:43 UTC
ALWAYS! And I regularly cruise through the thrift shops and 2nd hand stors. I simply LOVE poking through used stuff. Every once in a while, I find an absolute treasure! Most recent was actually more of a serviceable item than unique, but still... I purchased a Sony Mavica Digital camera. It has a 10X optical zoom, which means it does not degrade the image as a digital zoom does, and it uses FLOPPY DISKS to store the images, so NO special memory cards or software is needed! If the computer can read a floppy, it can read the images too! $10! I had to get a battery and charger, which I got on Ebay for another $10 for an out of pocket expense of $20 for a decent digital camera. The only "special" part is the battery it uses, so I bought a spare on Ebay for another $5, just in case. So, I have the best of both worlds, the ease and simplicity of film using the floppy disks, and the ease of simply transferring an image file instead of scanning a photograph with a scanning device of some kind. The only drawback is the recycle time is longer for the image file to be written to disk than it is to wind my 35MM film camera to the next frame so as to be ready to take the next picture. My Nikon F2 with a motor drive can snap 3 frames a second until it runs out of film or battery power while the Sony Mavica can take a picture every couple of seconds at best. Brand new, when the Mavica hit the market, it sold for $400... and now I have one, at a fraction of the cost. Like I said, there are treasures out there just waiting to be found...
Etobicokemomma
2008-12-06 20:39:17 UTC
Absolutely. The hubby got me hooked on "saling". During the summer we go every weekend. The coolest thing we ever got was a slot machine. The dude selling it was all disgusted saying it was brand new and never worked, and after looking inside I bought it off him for $25. I had it working 3 minutes after we got home. It was just a loose wire inside. We've had it in our living room ever since.
2008-12-06 20:33:36 UTC
Yeah I do...usually there isn't anything there though :(

I guess I don't happen to find the good yard sales. I do go to Value Village and other thrift stores (I found awesome clothes for cheap and also a few vinyls [Joshua Tree (U2), So (Peter Gabriel), Tubular Bells (Mike Oldfield)]

Oh at my neighbour's yard sale I found a vinyl "Monty Pythons Flying Circus" :D
Star
2008-12-06 20:33:48 UTC
I absolutely LOVE yard sales. The best think I've ever got was a $200 Ikea chair for $25.00. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
2008-12-06 20:32:50 UTC
I love yard sales. I bought a sweet black velvet picture of a bull fighter at a yard sale for a quarter.
2008-12-06 20:34:55 UTC
I never did but my husband used to only because he was an antique dealer and he used to find great things like paintings for $10 and then sell it for thousands. I don't know much about antiques (that was his thing). Another great deal was a Johnny Bench catcher's mitt he bought for like 5 bucks. It became my sons favorite baseball glove.
canizares
2016-10-15 06:14:00 UTC
you does not even have self assurance what I actually are starting to be from backyard revenues by way of the years (those besides as flea markets): in all probability a million/2 of my paperback books, my determination of atypical glassware (steins, eating glasses with the names of distant places beers or liquors on them, shot glasses, collectible Coke/Pepsi glasses, or perhaps a "infant-length" A & W Rootbeer mug), ceramics (bears, Indians, wolves, and so on), protection rigidity unit insignia patches/lapel pins, small (envelope-length) national flags, and so on. and so on. and so on. Have even had some dozen backyard revenues of my own by way of the years, too, or went in with my Aunt. we could arise early, too, by way of fact they had initiate right here approximately 7-8 a.m. on Saturdays and run till midday, or all day on a Friday. My native land has "city-huge" yardsale day in April and people pass nuts attempting to be the 1st one at so-and-so's sale. =D had to furnish it up, nonetheless, once I had the two knees replaced in 2004, and then mom fell in 2006 (broke her hip, then later found out she has COPD, too, so is on oxygen 24/7 now), and we the two could use a walker to get around (I even have arthritis in my ft, so they don't want to paintings 0.5 the time. Boo Hoo).
oligarchist
2008-12-06 20:33:45 UTC
yeah totally during Saturday in the morning I go around my city looking for yard signs on the popular corners
ρυяε
2008-12-06 20:32:29 UTC
WOW! Luckyyyy :)

I <3 garage-sale hopping. It's so much fun.

Well, someone we know acquired a cheap paperweight, then somehow sold it on Ebay for $326... o.o
2008-12-06 20:35:22 UTC
sweet score! that's antique roadshow quality.

love yard sales. got a cool vintage multicolor lamp for my sons room, and vintage barbies for my daughter (to never open).

I love vinyl and vintage tees, that's usually what I set out looking for.
♥ ltlsunny ♥
2008-12-06 20:34:08 UTC
yes i do, at one sale i bought a suitcase for around $3.00 and ot it home and looking thru it i found $12.00.
Rich B
2008-12-06 20:35:32 UTC
excellent!!,yard sales,flea mkts.thrift stores,love `em all.
i*love*ed
2008-12-06 20:35:30 UTC
nothing that good!

well,maybe-a 50's chair for 6$ was dirty but cleaned up great.
2008-12-06 20:35:26 UTC
yes cuz one mans trash is one mans treasure
2008-12-06 20:33:09 UTC
Where do you think I got ALL of my furniture? (and clothes..)
catsmeow
2008-12-06 20:32:23 UTC
nope...but i am a thrift store junkie from he**
Kayla Christine
2008-12-06 20:32:51 UTC
nope i dont go